Taco Tuesday: Beer Battered Shrimp Tacos

I've told you before in my Margarita Cupcakes post how much I love Taco Tuesday. Brings back all those fond San Diego college memories of heading down to World Famous in Pacific Beach and drinking way too many margaritas and munching down on their amazing and dirt cheap shrimp tacos on Tuesday nights. But now that I've moved to Maui, I need to get my shrimp taco fix the homemade way...

Do you like how I just casually dropped that I moved to MAUI! PARADISE! I'M ON CLOUD NINE! Ok that was a better portrayal of my feelings for my unreal, so exciting move. My boyfriend and I decided to take a crazy island adventure and move into our first home together in the beautiful paradise known as Maui, Hawaii. So I hope that you can forgive me for my blogging disappearance because its been a whirlwind of packing, traveling, house-hunting, unpacking, and exploring our new backyard. But I promise you I have a ton of yummy new recipes heading your way plus lots of pictures of the tropical island we now call home :) Starting with these to die for Beer Battered Shrimp Tacos!

You begin by whipping up your Corona Batter. Ok it can be Pacifico. And Sol will do too. Just promise me you will use a Mexican beer, because then you have the other 5 in the six pack to wash down these incredible tacos with and you know I hate when things aren't themed ;)

The batter is so simple: some flour, 1 beer, and lots of spicy spices (chili powder, cayenne, salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder). Let the shrimp marinate in the batter for about 15 minutes at room temperature and then start frying those bad boys up.
 Fry for about 3 minutes on each side until golden brown.
 Let rest on paper towels to absorb the extra oil and swat everyone's hands away who tries to sneak one while they are cooling :)
Make a Do It Yourself Taco Bar with iceberg lettuce, red cabbage, tomato, avocado, red onion, cilantro, beans, cheese, sour cream, lots of hot sauce, and my Easy 5 Ingredient Spanish Rice that way everyone can help themselves and make their perfect taco.
To all my fellow San Diegans-tell me that doesn't look as good or better than the ones you would get at World Famous?
I will miss many things about San Diego...my family, friends, La Jolla, Trader Joe's, Nordstrom (just to name a few) but now shrimp tacos won't have to be one of them!
Even if you didn't go to college in San Diego...or if you never make it to World Famous on a Tuesday night (which I strongly suggest you put on your Bucket List)... now you too can make Taco Tuesday a weekly tradition with your friends and family right in the comfort of your own home!

Beer Battered Shrimp Tacos

1-2 lbs shrimp 
1 bottle Corona or other Mexican beer
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tablespoon cayenne
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
Vegetable Oil for frying

Mix dry ingredients together. Add bottle of beer and mix. Let shrimp marinate in batter at room temperature for about 15 minutes. 

Heat oil in large frying pan until very hot (test oil by dropping a small amount of batter into oil and if it sizzles up then it is ready/ if it settles then continue to heat oil). When oil is hot, shake off excess batter and place shrimp into pan while lowering the heat to medium. Fry shrimp for about 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown-depending on size of shrimp.  Make sure to fry the shrimp in batches and be careful not to overcrowd the pan.

Accompaniments:
flour tortillas, taco size
sliced avocado
sliced tomato
sliced red onion
shredded iceberg lettuce
shredded red cabbage
chopped cilantro
sour cream
hot sauce 
beans 
grated cheddar cheese
Easy 5 Ingredient Spanish Rice