Bean and Cheese Enchiladas and Spanish Rice

Enchiladas was one of the first recipes in my repertoire when I was just starting out in the kitchen. And even though I've now mastered more technically advanced dishes, this remains one of my favorites because I can make them in my sleep and they are always a big hit. My friends continuously beg me to make me these and I know your friends will too! I pair them with my simple 5 Ingredients Spanish Rice and you have quite the Fiesta for dinner with minimal effort. 
I used to make chicken enchiladas because I wasn't a vegetarian yet, but now because this dish is too good to give it up I've subbed the filling with refried beans, diced onions, and cheese. I like it better than plain cheese enchiladas because it packs a little more protein and substance. 
To assemble fill small flour tortillas with a thin layer of refried beans (you don't even have to cook the beans first, they will heat up in the oven and it saves you cleaning up an extra pan which I'm always a fan of), a sprinkle of diced onions, and a big pile of shredded cheddar cheese. Nestle them in a casserole dish with a thin layer of the enchilada sauce on the bottom.
Then generously ladle the sauce over all the enchiladas. I swear by Las Palmas Medium Spice Enchilada Sauce, I've tried numerous canned and homemade enchilada sauces and I think it packs the perfect amount of heat and taste. I'm all about making everything homemade but when you find something delicious and super convenient I don't fight it! However, I do like to heat up the sauce with a little chicken or vegetable broth because I find it to be a little too heavy straight out of the can.
And all that's left is to top them with lots of grated cheese, cover, and pop in a 350 degree oven.
And while the enchiladas are baking, you have the perfect amount of time to whip up my 5 Ingredient Spanish Rice. Olive Oil, diced onion, tomato sauce, chicken or veggie broth, and white rice! That's all you need to make delicious Spanish rice to serve alongside all your favorite Mexican dinners.
And in 40 minutes, you will be one happy senor/senorita when you see this coming out of your oven!
To serve, top your enchiladas with diced tomatoes, avocado, green onions, and a big dollop of sour cream with spanish rice and extra beans on the side.
This is a perfect dish to try if you're new in the kitchen or for a new quick weeknight dinner staple!
Who needs to go to a Mexican restaurant when you can make the same dishes right at home for half the price and you don't need to worry about driving after one too many Coronas. Because its totally necessary to drink beer with this meal, enchiladas and beer are a match made in heaven afterall ;)


Bean and Cheese Enchiladas

8 flour soft taco size tortillas
4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 can nonfat refried beans
19 oz can of Las Palmas Red Enchilada Sauce Medium 
1/4 cup vegetable or chicken broth 
1/2 cup diced onion
Garnishes:
Avocado
Green Onion
Tomato 
Sour Cream

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 
Heat enchilada sauce with broth over medium heat to thin out the sauce until warm. Ladle a thin layer of enchilada sauce into a casserole dish. 
Assemble each flour tortilla with a thin layer of refried beans, a sprinkle of diced onions, and a generous pile of cheese. Roll up like a burrito. Nestle the prepared enchiladas into the casserole dish. 
Cover the enchiladas with the remaining enchilada sauce and top with remaining cheese. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake for another 10 minutes or until bubbling, cheese is melted, and enchilada filling is completely heated through. 
To serve, top each enchilada with diced avocado, green onion. tomato, and a dollop of sour cream and pair with Spanish Rice and remaining beans on the side.

* To make chicken enchiladas, boil chicken breasts with a half onion and shred when cooled (or just shred a rotisserie chicken). Fill each flour tortilla with shredded chicken, cheese, and diced onion and just serve beans alongside the enchiladas.

Spanish Rice

1 cup long grain white rice
1/2 medium sized white onion, diced 
3/4 cup tomato sauce 
2 1/4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
1 tbsp olive oil

Heat oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. When oil is hot, add rice and onions and let rice toast for a minute or two until golden brown. Add the tomato sauce and broth. Bring to a boil. Cover and lower heat to simmer. Cook for 25-30 minutes until liquid has fully absorbed into rice and the rice is fluffy.