Cheesy Breakfast Potatoes...My American Ode to Rösti

I can't even begin to tell you what a happy girl I was when I whipped up this recipe. When I lived in Switzerland my absolute favorite thing to eat was Rösti. Rösti is a Swiss dish that's basically like a big hashbrown pancake but so much tastier for some reason. My first day arriving in Switzerland my cousin took me to a restaurant right across from the street from her house and I had Rösti topped with mozzarella, tomato, and basil and a glass of Prosecco for lunch and I was in heaven even though I was suffering from jet-lag hell. My love for Rösti didn't end there, we ate it almost every week at the house because it is the ULTIMATE hangover cure! 

In Switzerland you could just buy preprepared Rösti at the grocery store and all you had to do was fry it up and add the toppings. I smuggled back one package on my way back to the States but obviously that package didn't last long and lately I've been craving the potato goodness that is Rösti. So the other morning I decided it was time to make my American Ode to Rösti and my Cheesy Breakfast Potatoes were born! 


My favorite preparation of Rösti in Switzerland was with tomatoes, gruyere cheese, and poached eggs so that's what I based my breakfast off of. Instead of spending my morning boiling and grating my potatoes, I took a short cut and began with a basic breakfast potato preparation. I cooked diced potatoes in boiling water until just a bit tender and then fried them with some chopped onion and spices. Also I continued to mash the potatoes up while they were crisping up so it would have a slightly more Rösti like consistency.
After the potatoes have completely cooked through and browned nicely, add some diced tomato. I didn't add a huge amount because I didn't want the potatoes to get soggy at all.
Now for the good part...Add a hearty layer of cheese, I used a mixture of shredded cheddar cheese and monterey jack because its what I had in the fridge. Gruyere would be delicious and very classic Swiss, or whatever cheese is your personal fav. 
Now pop the lid back on and in no time you will have perfect Cheesy Breakfast Potatoes. How good does that look?!
Now a serving of these potatoes would be a satisfying breakfast for anyone......
BUT to really make it special, top it with a fried egg...
And there my friends is My American Ode to Rösti...
Ahh eating this dish, I ALMOST feel transported back to the beautiful Swiss Alps hiking with the cows and looking at the most breathtaking scenery you will ever see. I hope you all enjoy it as much as I did!


xox
Bri


Cheesy Breakfast Potatoes...My American Ode to Rösti
Ingredients:
4 cups potatoes, diced 
1 cup chopped onion
2 tablespoons of olive oil 
1 small tomato diced
1/2 to 1 cup of any cheese you prefer (I used monterey jack and cheddar cheese) 
4 eggs 
salt, pepper,garlic powder, and paprika to taste


Directions:
Cook diced potatoes in boiling water for about four minutes until slightly tender. Heat oil in frying pan over medium heat and add onions and potatoes. Season generously with salt, pepper, and paprika and cook with lid on. Check occasionally and stir potatoes. When potatoes are completely cooked through, remove lid and let potatoes brown up. Next add tomatoes and cheese and close lid until cheese is melted. 
Serve with fried eggs on top.